The design of the Apple AirPods is as simple as it is elegant, but the individual headphones with Bluetooth connection to the iPhone have an obvious disadvantage: they are easily lost. If you need to find your AirPods regularly, you should definitely be familiar with the Find My app.
With the “Where is?” app, you always have an eye on your Apple devices. Incidentally, this also works with the browser.
Image: © Apple 2021
With the “Where is?” app, owners of Apple devices can not only keep an eye on the location of their iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. You can also use the app to track your AirPods. And that’s really useful for the little things. In order for the “Where is?” app to be able to find the AirPods, however, they must be connected via Bluetooth – i.e. within range of one of your Apple devices. Also, the search only works when the AirPods are outside of their case.
To track your AirPods with the Find My app, you need to do the following:
- Open the Find My app.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Under “Devices,” select AirPods.
- On a map you can see the location of the headphones.
- Important: You may see the location where your AirPods were last connected via Bluetooth here – i.e. the place where you may have lost them.
Know roughly where your AirPods are, but still can’t find them? Then you might be able to locate them by playing a sound. Proceed like this:
- In the Find My app, tap Devices.
- Select your AirPods.
- Tap “Play Sound”.
The AirPods play whistling sounds in increasing volume that you can use to locate them. If you just want to look for one AirPod, you can mute the left or right earbud individually with the touch of a button.
In addition to the “Where is?” app, you can also conveniently locate your AirPods via your browser. Here’s how it works:
- open the page https://www.icloud.com/find/.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Select your AirPods under “All Devices”.
- Tap “Play Sound” to better locate your AirPods.
- With the app “Where is?” you can search your AirPods.
- You can view AirPods on a map.
- The AirPods must be connected via Bluetooth.
- You can use the app to make connected earbuds play loud sounds, which you can use to find the AirPods.
- You can also locate your AirPods using the browser.