What would Summer Game Fest be without the Devolver Direct? It’s probably damn boring, because no presentation is as crazy, crazy and iconic as that of the publisher Devolver Digital. Benjamin and Alex were very impressed and therefore talk about the Devolver Direct 2022because this year not only did the developer and Devolver fan Suda51 perform, but also presented a couple of decent games.
Our editors weren’t really surprised, because Devolver knows its target group damn well. And that is bearing particularly good fruit this year. While last year was all about hot dogs, this year the team is teasing the gaming industry with mech suits and gaming singularities. But their games don’t come off any less well:
- In Cult of the Lamb, the lamb version of Tom Nook from Animal Crossing is going crazy. Because here you collect cute little animals in your own cult and then build a camp and go on deftive dungeon crawler excursions.
- When you’ve had enough of dungeons, you can kick out a few enemies, Hotline Miami style. In Anger Foot your foot is your strongest weapon. Colourful, funky and brutal at the same time, you can use it to show a wide variety of enemy types where to go.
- Then there is relaxation Card Shark. This is about skill and brains with which you should cheat the Victorian comrades at card games. You cheat here, lie there, and cheat as often as you can without losing your poker face.
- The Plucky Squire was also a real highlight: With this colorful mix of genres you start in a colorful picture book. But you don’t stay trapped between the pages, but instead come onto the table in a 3D perspective and can really let off steam in the room: Whether it’s the coffee cup, the box of crayons or the bed – everything could become a place of action!
- Finally it gets artistic. In skate story you are a creature of glass and pain. You skateboard through extraterrestrial scenes to find the devil himself. The big question is whether art or successful control will prevail here.