A few days ago, the Blizzard developers announced surprisingly fresh level 1 servers for WoW: Wrath of the Lich King Classic. However, the announcement raised a few questions, most notably the 90-day transfer restriction. Therefore, there were now two longer posts from Blizzard employees that shed more light on this point.
It was quite a surprise when the Blizzard developers a few days ago fresh Tier 1 servers for WoW: Wrath of the Lich King Classic announced. After all, there was a desire for new start realms even before the launch of Burning Crusade Classic, and at the time it went unheard. The framework for this “fresh” experience reads as follows:
- All players start with new characters at level 1.
- You may not upgrade your character on Realms for Fresh Start for at least 90 days.
- Fresh start realms will not be available for character transfer destinations for at least 90 days.
- Death knights cannot be created on these realms without a level 55 character on the same realm.
Blizzard explains transfer restriction
Under the Posted by Kaivax on the official WoW forums many players commented positively on the announcement. However, there were also some questions or concerns, especially about the transfer restrictions. The feedback: 90 days is far too short a period. After just three months, players would come over from other servers with all their stuff and take over the economy in no time, so the fear.
Game Producer Aggend joined the discussion a few hours ago. Here are the most important findings from his rather lengthy post:
- First, Aggend is clear: the announcement states that the servers will be unavailable for transfers for AT LEAST 90 days. So the number is by no means set in stone.
- Blizzard is breaking new ground with these Fresh servers, so they want to keep a close eye on realm populations before taking any action. That’s why there is no exact number for the opening of the transfers. “There is no rule that says transfers must be unlocked on exactly day 91, day 191 or even day 991 and we have no intention of committing to an arbitrary time frame where transfers are activated super far in advance. “
- If it turns out that the new servers continue to have a healthy population three months or more later, there’s no need to rush into unlocking server transfers at all.
By the way, this topic was discussed also in the Community Council. Here it was WoW developer Pazorax who got involved in the discussion and once again emphasized that the 90 days refer to a period after which the developers look at the populations on the Fresh servers and restrictions such as boosts, transfers and death knights only want to re-evaluate with level 55 character.
According to Pazorax, it is quite possible to remove the restriction on the death knights, but continue to prevent boosts and transfers, or vice versa. He also explains that there can be reasons to allow character transfers from old servers to new ones. For example, to allow friends who have previously played on different servers to play with each other.
It is also quite conceivable that the economy of new servers will approach the economic situation on the old servers over time. Maybe that doesn’t happen after 90 days. But what about a year from now? And if that were to happen, there would no longer be any point in continuing to prevent the transfer option.