Tired of WiFi calls? Our guide shows you how to deactivate the function on Android smartphones and iPhones. No matter what model you use, this guide will work!
Telephoning without a direct mobile phone connection is made possible by WiFi calling. Prerequisites for the WLAN calls are a compatible smartphone and a contract with a network provider that offers this feature. These include, for example, Vodafone and Telekom.
Current smartphones from Samsung to Huawei to Apple are usually compatible and the “WLAN calls” function is activated ex works. However, if you don’t want to use the feature, you can easily turn it off. Switching off works the same for all models.
- Open the “Phone” app.
- Click on the three dot menu in the top right corner.
- A drop-down menu opens. Click here on “Settings”.
- Now select the “Wi-Fi calling” option.
- Set the slider for “Wi-Fi Calling” to “Off”.
- Open the “Settings”.
- Select the “Cellular Network” option.
- Now click on “Wi-Fi Calling”.
- Now you can set the slider for “WLAN calls” to “Off”.
By the way: It is not possible to temporarily deactivate WLAN calls just for a single call. If you want to use the function again, you have to activate it again manually. Unfortunately, this step cannot be automated.
With messengers like WhatsApp you can even use video telephony via WLAN.
Image: © WhatsApp 2021
You can make calls via WLAN even without WiFi calling activated. This works with various apps such as WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram or Threema. These applications use the “Voice over Internet Protocol” (VoIP), which works independently of your network provider.
An advantage: With the messengers you can switch to video telephony and even see your conversation partner. Group calls with several participants and video are also possible. However, video calls will drain your battery faster than a simple WiFi call. What’s more, you just have to install an additional app on your smartphone and you can’t make the WiFi call with your phone’s default configuration.
- Turning off WiFi calls works the same on all devices. There are only differences between Android and iOS.
- Disable Wi-Fi Calling (Android): Phone app > three-dot menu > Settings > Wi-Fi Calling > set slider to Off.
- Turn off WiFi calling (iPhone): “Settings > Cellular > WiFi Calling” > set the slider to “Off”.