Breaking news: Nvidia is withdrawing the launch of the RTX 4080 12GB

Breaking news: Nvidia is withdrawing the launch of the RTX 4080 12GB

Nvidia is always good for a real surprise. It was actually planned that after the launch of the RTX 4090, two RTX 4080 cards would follow in the first half of November. Nvidia is now changing the plan.

“Unlaunched” RTX 4080 12GB

Like Nvidia in confirmed with a short message, the RTX 4080 with 12 GiB graphics memory will not appear for the time being, at least not under the name. The RTX 4080 12GB is “an amazing graphics card” but it doesn’t have the right name, according to Nvidia. Having two GPUs labeled 4080 is confusing, they say. When the 4000 series was announced, rumors arose that the 4080 12GB was originally an RTX 4070 and was only recently upgraded. Nvidia recently released benchmarks for the 4080 cards that showed a significant difference in performance between the 16GB and 12GB. A difference of up to 30 percent with the same 80s ID was too much of a good thing for many observers.

Nvidia is pushing the “unlaunch” button on the 4080 12GB, according to the message. The RTX 4080 16GB is “amazing and on track to wow gamers everywhere on November 16th”. The 16.11. was not confirmed as a release date, but probably the first half of November. Nvidia ends the report with photos of queues said to come from buyers of an RTX 4090. “If the queues and enthusiasm for the 4090 are any indication, the 4080 is also being greatly received,” said Nvidia.

In surveys of the RTX 40 series, the RTX 4080 12GB came off particularly badly. Only 1.9 percent of the participants were completely and 14.7 percent partially convinced of the technical features, a total of only 16.6 percent. Consequently, 73.9 percent were not convinced by the 12GB version, that was almost three quarters of the respondents. With the 4080 16 GB, 10.2 percent of the participants were completely and 54.7 percent still mostly convinced – in total 64.8 percent. Both 4080s got bad marks for the price. The 4080 16GB ended up being “way too high” at 92.5 percent, the 4080 12GB at 91.1 percent. There wasn’t much left for the categories “a bit too high” (6.3 – 7 percent) and “okay” (0.7 to 1 percent).

See also  Tetris Effect: Connected On Switch Receives Its First Major Patch, Here Are The Full Details

Nvidia has so far differentiated between a 12 GiB and 16 GiB version of the 4080, but the two variants differ not only in terms of the graphics memory, but also in terms of significant technical parameters. The 16 GiB model uses the AD103 and has 76 SMs, 9,782 shaders, 304 tensor cores and 76 RT cores. The base clock is 2.21 GHz, the boost at 2.51 GHz. The 16 GB GDDR6X have a speed of 23 GBit/s and are connected with 256 bits, the memory bandwidth is 736 GB/s. The TGP is 320 watts. The Geforce RTX 4080 with 12 GiB uses the AD104 with 60 SMs, 7,680 shaders, 240 tensor cores and 60 RT cores. The base clock is at 2.31 GHz, the boost at 2.61 GHz. The 12 GiB are 21 GBit/s fast and are connected with 192 bit, which corresponds to a transfer capacity of 504 GB/s. The TGP is 285 watts.

How the RTX 4080 12GB will continue is unclear. Simply changing the name will hardly suffice, because then the criticism of the high price would remain. The RRP for the 4080 12GB was 1,049 euros. Hardly conceivable that an RTX 4070 would be launched for this price.

What do you think of Nvidia’s decision? And how do you think things will continue tonight? Use the comment function and let us know what you think. You must be logged in to PCGH.de or the Extreme forum to comment. If you don’t have an account yet, you can consider registeringwhich brings many advantages.

See also  UK newspaper criticized for hinting that video games are "the next global pandemic"

Reference-www.pcgameshardware.de