20-year-old wins $1,000,000 in Fortnite and the envy of losers: “The rich keep getting richer”
YouTube’s Croesus Mr. Beast hosted a tournament in Fortnite on Saturday: the Extreme Challenge Fortnite Tournament. In the end, a 20-year-old Dane prevailed. Not everyone agrees with Anas’ victory: “Normal players” in particular find it annoying that a professional who has already earned good money with Fortnite in the last two years won.
What was that tournament? On Saturday, December 17th, an unusual Fortnite tournament was hosted by Mr. Beast:
- The winner took home $1 million
- For the best 100,000 in the tournament at least one exclusive “Beast Brella Umbrella” was in it.
Fortnite developer Epic Games said: You can play as many matches as you can in time, but only the game with the highest score counts. The winner then wins $1 million.
In the tournament, players had to dodge “storms,” collect coins, and capture as many points as possible before the timer ran out.
It didn’t have much to do with “normal Fortnite”, which is played as a Battle Royale, but looked more like Fall Guys in a Fortnite coat.
Who won? In the end, the Danish Fortnite professional Anas prevailed. He plays for David Beckham’s clan The Guild.
He scored a total of 142,098 points, a good 1,500 points ahead of a player from Holland and another from Canada.
It’s said he trained for the tournament throughout the week and then actually pulled off his best performance when it counted.
Some are calling for banning pros from cash tournaments
How is this discussed? The tournament is a bit strange, because only the 1st place collects so much money and the rest get nothing. The comments are also divided.
Although many congratulate the winner, that is a great achievement. But there are also some who think it’s unfair for a pro to win:
- “Lowkey it’s unfair that a pro gamer won – I was in the top percent too, so I’m not super angry. But how about doing some cash tournaments and excluding pro players?”
- “That’s awesome… the winner is a sweaty, rich Fortnite pro. As always, the rich get richer – Mister Beast is a joke!”
- “I personally believe that professionals and creators should have been banned from the tournament. The skill difference, the equipment and the connection definitely play a role. The man has literally won $400,000 over the last few years, but it was still a tough task. GG, it was fun.”
Fortnite: €7,400 tournament escalated on LAN – pro smacks young player in the face
Winner had already earned $430,000 playing Fortnite in 2021 and 2020
What’s so bitter? Well, 20-year-old Anas has already earned $430,000 playing Fortnite tournaments before winning the last two years, consistently placing in the top 5 at the FNCS, Fortnite’s online esports tournament , which fetched him between $125,000 and $25,000.
The one million US dollars on top of that is certainly very nice, but some people might have needed the money more. So you can understand the criticism, especially from amateur players: As a professional player, Anas obviously has much better conditions to win such a competition than normal players.
Ultimately, however, this is a sporting competition, and at the World Cup you can hardly complain that Messi won, who has already achieved so much in his life:
16-Year-Old Won $3M Playing Fortnite – What’s Bugha Up To Today?