Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is available now for Xbox consoles and Xbox Game Pass.
The classic game Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is now available for Xbox consoles and in the Xbox Game Pass. The special thing about it: The new version is optimized for playing with the controller.
Grab a controller and jump into the game. More than 1000 years of human history, 35 civilizations and more than 200 hours of fun are waiting for you.
Microsoft announces: “The community asked for a console version of their favorite game and we heard it. Because we also wanted to create the best possible gaming experience, we took our time with the development and made the needs of the console gamers the focus of our commitment.”
Since its release in 2019, Age of Empires II: Definite Edition has grown steadily with almost 40 updates, three DLC expansions and numerous improvements:
- 83 maps
- 32 multiplayer civilizations
- 34 single player campaigns
- Ten multiplayer modes
- Seven co-op campaigns
Here are a few examples that vividly show where Microsoft has tweaked gameplay to deliver its full potential on console:
- Controls and UX optimized for consoles: The menu bar is designed in such a way that you can clearly see all important information on both the TV and a cloud-enabled mobile device. You also benefit from a native controller UI design with D-Pad shortcuts, command wheels and many other features.
- New convenience features: Whether you’re new to empire building or a seasoned ruler, we’ve introduced a few innovations that will take your very own Age of Empires story to the next level. For example, you can use villager automation or location-based commands to focus on your army.
- Emperor in Training: Tutorials help you learn the intuitive controller gameplay. In addition, there is a detailed guide to building your own empire. This service is supplemented by a “Learn to play” guide, which we can be found on AgeOfEmpires.com release specifically for this edition.
- Console mouse and keyboard support: By the way, if you prefer to play with keyboard and mouse, you can easily switch to the console version. We have made sure that these devices are also supported, so that you can always make new decisions.
- Age of Empires with Cloud Gaming: The game will also be available for Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), so you can grow your empire even when you’re away from PC or console.
As an extra thank you for your loyalty over the years, everyone who tries Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition between January 31st and February 14th will be treated to a fun confetti mod to celebrate the day.
This marks the beginning of the Age of Empires console era, with more highlights coming later this year. There are more details in the Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition review.