The start date and patch notes for Patch 2.7.5 and Season 28 in Diablo 3 have been revealed. We show you the seasonal theme with a powerful altar, balance changes, starter sets and what Archaic Ash is all about.
What’s going on in Diablo 3? Season 28 is about to start. With new content, the chapter lures players back into hack and slay. The focus is on an altar where important damage and quality-of-life bonuses can be unlocked. But the new season brings even more exciting content and balance changes.
Here in the overview we show you everything you need to know about S28 in Diablo 3.
Season 28 – Launch, Season Theme, Starter Sets
When does Season 28 start? The season begins on February 24, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. German time. Usually such a season is active for about 3 months. We anticipate an end in the last week of May or early June.
What is the seasonal theme? The ancient Altar of Rites awaits you. It’s like a big skill tree, where you unlock special powers by using different materials.
The developers say:
With this seasonal theme, we want to enhance players’ season journey by connecting material goals with meaningful choices. We wanted to celebrate the approaching release of Diablo IV with a feature that emphasizes progress while providing interesting tidbits about Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy the Rites of Sanctuary as much as we do.
We will go into more detail about the altar of rites in a separate article.
What starter sets are there? For reaching stage 2, 3 and 4 of the season journey you will be rewarded with a “Haedrig’s gift”. If you open it, you will receive a few set pieces of a certain set. If you complete stages 2, 3 and 4 and open all gifts with the same character, you will receive a full class set. This is possible once during a season. In Season 28 you will receive the following starter sets through the Season Journey:
Cosmetic Rewards: Since Season 17, you can unlock two new and two old cosmetic rewards per season in Diablo 3. This time it’s the old rewards from Season 16 and also the new rewards:
- The Pet “Companion of Taennin the Tiny”
- Portrait “Primeval Hunter”
New feature Archaic Ash: With the new feature, Blizzard wants to make it easier for you to get archaic items. The Archaic Ashes feature will be enabled with Patch 2.7.5. You can recycle an archaic item at the blacksmith and receive 55 archaic ashes.
There is also a new recipe for Archaic Items in Kanai’s Cube. The recipe allows you:
- Any uncrafted Legendary Item can be upgraded to an Archaic Item for 100 Archaic Ashes
It is important to remember that only one upgraded Archaic item can be worn at a time and the items do not retain the properties of the legendary item used. New affixes will be rolled out for the upgraded items.
Season specific achievements: These achievements change each season. In Season 28 you can choose from:
- Demon of Speed and Streamlined (Hardcore Mode) – Complete a Nephalem Rift on Torment X difficulty with a maxed out character within 2 minutes.
- Mineral Collection and I Must Have Them All (Hardcore Mode) – upgrades three legendary gems to level 65.
- Boss Mode and A Class of His Own (Hardcore Mode) – kill the following bosses on Torment X difficulty with a max level character within 20 minutes of starting the game.
- Cursed and sewn up! and who would have thought? (Hardcore mode) – kill at least 350 monsters during a cursed chest at level 70 on Torment X difficulty.
- Portalomania and Dynasty (Hardcore Mode) – achieve a level 55 Greater Rift (solo play) using the bonuses of six of the following class sets.
On the next page we show you the patch notes for patch 2.7.5 with changes to items and classes: