Microsoft Flight Simulator: Game of the Year Edition Available November 18!
It’s been an amazing journey since we launched Microsoft Flight Simulator on PC. The main audience for flight simulators embraced the new experience immediately and with Xbox Game Pass for PC, a new audience of PC gamers who had never played a flight simulator was drawn in before.
In July 2021, we launched Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox Series X | S and welcomed millions of console gamers to the flight simulation experience. We introduced new features such as Discovery Flights, Extended Tutorials, Flight Assistant, Map Tags, and Land Anywhere, which aim to help newcomers successfully enter the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator. This version brought numerous improvements to the simulation, including significant performance gains that also benefited the PC audience.
And the launch was just the beginning. Over the past 14 months, we’ve delivered major monthly updates – six Global Updates and six Sim Updates constantly enhancing the experience. And today, we are pleased to announce the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year (GOTY) Edition. This new edition celebrates all the positive comments, criticisms and awards obtained, but it is also a “Thank you” to our fans, new and old, who have done Microsoft Flight Simulator such a phenomenon.
This is what is included in the GOTY edition:
We are adding 5 new aircraft to Microsoft Flight Simulator:
- Boeing F / A-18 Super Hornet: Our first military jet and a highly requested feature by the community. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion will launch with the film next spring, but we wanted fans to have a chance to test their need for speed this holiday season.
- VoloCity: We partnered with the well-known German company Volocopter, which is working on an eVTOL called “VoloCity”, a vision for an urban air taxi. We worked closely with the Volocopter engineering team to develop an authentic version of the prototype airplane for the simulator. This is our first aircraft that can make accurate landings and is a sneak peek of what to expect in 2022 when we intend to launch helicopters in the simulator.
- Goalkeeper Pilatus PC-6: This legendary short take-off and landing (STOL) utility aircraft is a highly versatile aircraft from Switzerland and comes with several cabins, cabins, and landing gear variations. It is the result of our close collaboration with the manufacturer and the development efforts of renowned developers Hans Hartmann and Alexander Metzger resulted in a fun new aircraft with exceptional capabilities in the simulator.
- CubCrafters NX Cub: Yakima-based CubCrafters recently introduced a nose wheel option for their CC-19 XCub flagship aircraft, popularly called the NX Cub, which we are pleased to introduce to the flight simulator audience to further enhance our flight options in bushes and outside the airport.
- Aviat Pitts Special S1S: One of our most popular aircraft gets the single seat option with the launch of this aircraft.
We add 8 artisanal airports in Central Europe and the United States:
- Leipzig / Halle Airport (EDDP)
- Allgäu Memmingen Airport (EDJA)
- Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)
- Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)
The Game of the Year release adds information on 545 previously missing airports in the United States.
Based on the popularity of the recently introduced Discovery flights, we are adding 6 additional locations (Helsinki, Freiburg im Breisgau, Mecca, Monument Valley, Singapore, and Mount Cook) to this popular series.
To further expand the onboarding experience, we are adding 14 new tutorials, introducing simmers to Bush flying (on an Icon A5) and IFR (on a Cessna 172).
We are also pleased to introduce several highly requested community features: an updated weather system, early access to DX12, and a development mode replay system.
New photogrammetry cities
As part of our ongoing collaboration with Bing Maps, we are pleased to add a number of new photogrammetry cities: Helsinki (Finland), Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany), Brighton, Derby, Eastbourne, Newcastle and Nottingham (UK) and Utrecht (Countries Low).
And, best of all, the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition will be available as a free update for existing players on PC and Xbox Series X | S. For new users, the GOTY Edition is the perfect entry point to flight simulation, offering an even richer experience, and it will be the item they buy when we pick up the original.
We can’t wait for you to experience this expanded edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator November 18. We encourage you to invite your friends to experience the wonders of flight. Heaven is calling!
Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available on Xbox Series X | S with Xbox Game Pass, Windows 10/11 with Xbox Game Pass for PC and Steam.
For the latest information on Microsoft Flight Simulator, stay tuned to @MSFSOfficial On twitter.