‘Killerspiele’ and ‘Kellerkinder’: Almost all of you have already been laughed at for gambling
Video games are a wonderful hobby that we have fun with, let off frustration or cultivate friendships – we don’t need to explain that to you. But most of us have had one or two negative experiences with it, not least because other people smiled at us for our hobby or called it a waste of time.
In our survey, we wanted to know what experiences the GamePro community has had here. And it turns out most of you have a story or two to share.
Many of you have been shamed for gambling
All in all 2,623 (as of August 28th) of you voted in our survey and gave a clear picture of whether you have already been smiled at for your hobby:
- Yes (85%, 2,233 votes)
- No (15%, 390 votes)
85% is of course a damn high number. This shows that video games are still not fully accepted, even if the situation has improved in recent years, as you also note in the comments. Many of you still remember terms like “killer games” too well, but some of you also had to defend your hobby from those close to you.
More surveys on GamePro.de:
- Nelphi: “As a disabled person, I was often asked by so-called social pedagogues in various institutions whether I had an addiction problem with gaming when the topic came up. This seems to be a common prejudice, especially if you’re still playing when you’re over 25. “
- prosumer: “I’m glad that the times in the mid-90s are over, when gaming wasn’t as socially recognized as it is today. Sometimes it was dismissed as “kids’ stuff”, and then the evil “killer games” 😉 In the meantime, the gaming community grown so much and there are gamers in all age groups that there is no longer any criticism in my circle”
- Gerdti: “Yes, I’ve been laughed at, less for gaming than for what I play, which is farming simulator among other things. When I tell that, I like to get laughs, not just smiles. Otherwise, I like to play on the easiest difficulty level, which I do been laughed at before.”
- Anubis1744: “I hear about it a lot, but I’m 39 and I’ve never been smiled at for my hobbies. My dad wasn’t into gaming, but he bought me a Nintendo NES and later a PS2.”
- PhoeniX-2K: “Two of my best friends and my wife used to have absolutely nothing to do with games, they also smiled at this hobby. My wife and I play games together today…! It Takes Two, Divinity – Original Sin 2, Zelda… “
- berny1962: “I’ve often been smiled at there. A lot by all the relatives too. Since I’ll soon be 60, I was exotic for most people. But my own kids and also my nieces and nephews always had someone to talk to her young years. :-)”
As always, thank you for your numerous participation and for sharing your stories!