Update n. 2: Infinity has reached all of its crowdfunding goals and you will now get a special ‘Enhanced GBA’ mode.
This is what the developers said:
Thanks to the support of 2500 sponsors infinite is now 1,800% funded with $ 290,000CAD for an initial goal of $ 16,000CAD!
With all the ambitious goals achieved, various in-game artwork will be added and the game will be GBA Enhanced.
This enhanced mode is a feature where, when inserted into a Game Boy Advance, the game allows you to access more content.
The “GBA Enhanced” mode has only been used by 4 games on GBC, so it will make Infinity a part of those rare games with a GBA Enhanced mode.
Update n. 1 [Sat 28th Aug, 2021 09:10 BST]: The crowdfunding campaign amounts to almost £ 140,000 at the time of writing, which means that legendary songwriter Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of rage, Etrian odyssey) will now contribute music to the game, his first Game Boy job!
Original story [Wed 11th Aug, 2021 04:55 BST]: Earlier this year, the development of the canceled Game Boy Color title was revealed. infinite has been rebooted.
The GBC project was originally developed by Affinix Software between 1999 and 2001, but was unfortunately canceled due to publishing issues and the release of the Game Boy Advance.
Five years ago an unfinished ROM appeared, along with the release of a soundtrack, and now the game is getting a second chance on Kickstarter. In the latest update, independent publishers Incube8 Games and Retro Modding have confirmed that Kickstarter for the tactical RPG will launch next week on August 18. The game will be available in physical and digital form.
Here’s a bit about it, along with a look:
In Infinity, an ancient nameless evil stirs beneath the earth, twisting the earth and its people alike with its corrupting force. Two rival nations rush to war, while a shadowy figure arms them both with impious weapons of immense power.
This epic story frames an RPG with a unique tactical battle system, a detailed world with more than 50 explorable areas and more than 100 items, and beautiful 8-bit graphics, all to immerse you in the world of Infinity!
Infinity has been left incomplete for 20 years and this Kickstarter campaign will help complete and produce a physical cartridge release for the Game Boy Color.
And these are some of the characteristics:
- An inventive tactical battle system
- A detailed world with more than 50 explorable areas.
- The option to switch at any time between “Wait” and “Action” battle modes, with 4 different speeds.
- A rich and complex storyline that goes beyond what you would expect from an 8-bit portable RPG.
- Around 20 hours of playtime
- 6 playable characters, each with their own specialties
- An elaborate script with over 3,000 lines of dialogue and 20,000 words (longer than Final Fantasy II and comparable to Dragon Warrior III)
- Advanced graphics techniques that take full advantage of Gameboy Color’s humble hardware
- Ultra customizable text window color gradient
Would you be interested in funding a Kickstarter like this? Tell us below.