Sony WH-1000XM5: ANC Bluetooth headphones with 30 hours runtime presented
The Japanese manufacturer Sony has introduced the new Bluetooth headphones WH-1000XM5. According to the company, the battery life of the ANC over-ear headphones should be 30 hours.
Since 2018, there has been a new edition of the Sony WH-1000XM wireless headphones every year. Meanwhile, the Japanese manufacturer has the WH-1000XM5 introduced, which should stand out from the predecessor WH-1000XM4 with some improvements. The design has been revised and should allow a noiseless adjustment of the size. New soft-fit leather is now used for the ear pads and the headband, which adapts to the shape of the head and takes the pressure off the ears. The headphones are said to offer up to 30 hours of battery life and can be charged via USB-C within three minutes for three hours of playback time. However, this requires a special USB power adapter from Sony, which you have to buy separately.
Sony WH-1000XM5 with learning ANC function
When it comes to sound, Sony is also upping the ante and equipping the WH-1000XM5 with a new 30 mm driver. Active noise suppression, in which two processors control eight microphones that are supposed to filter out disturbing ambient noise, is particularly important. According to the manufacturer, the ANC function is adaptive, so that the noise suppression can adapt to the respective situation. To do this, the function learns which places you spend most of your time in and automatically adjusts the sound as soon as you are back at work, for example. If you want, you can connect the WH-1000XM5 to two devices at the same time via Bluetooth and switch directly between the connected end devices at the push of a button.
As with the predecessor, two touch surfaces on the outside of the ear cups are used as control elements. In this way, Sony saves on the expensive buttons and can rely on the stylish way of operation. With the WH-1000XM5, customers have to do without replaceable ear pads and a replaceable battery. In order to be able to transport the over-ear headphones, they can be folded up and stowed in the supplied case. The Sony WH-1000XM5 will be available in stores in black or silver from the end of May for 419 euros.
Also worth reading: Apple Airpods often cannot be resold
Collection for the new Sony WH-1000XM5:
- Sony has introduced the new WH-1000XM5 Bluetooth headphones, which will go on sale from the end of May. The wireless over-ear headphones are said to offer a battery life of up to 30 hours.
- Compared to last year’s predecessor, the WH-1000XM5 offers a new soft-fit leather ear pads and headband. In addition, Sony has redeveloped the drivers with 30 mm.
- Sony has also revamped the active noise cancellation, with two processors controlling eight microphones. The ANC function can learn where you are often and then automatically adjust the sound.
- The WH-1000XM5 can be folded up and transported in the supplied case. However, the Sony headphones are arguably disposable as the ear pads and battery are non-replaceable.
- The Sony WH-1000XM5 is available in either black or silver for 419 euros. Sony has not included an included USB power adapter for fast charging.