Today, June 30th, the major expansion Outriders Worldslayer is available for everyone. But is it worth buying? You can find out in a short check by MeinMMO – regardless of whether you have already been looking for the basic game or want to start from scratch.
What is Outriders Worldslayer? Outriders Worldslayer is the big expansion of Outriders, a brutal loot shooter that was released about 1 year ago.
The base game initially struggled with damn annoying problems and bugs, and was disappointing in the endgame. Over the months, the developers of People Can Fly have steadily improved the game, with the major New Horizon update at the latest eliminating the biggest problems in the community.
This is one of the reasons why the game stands up overall with a balanced rating Steam (64% positive after more than 42,500 votes as of June 30, 2022), but was able to get largely positive opinions with reviews from the last 30 days (77% after more than 500 votes as of June 30, 2022).
With the big Worldslayer expansion, Outriders wants to go one step further, make the game bigger overall and offer a new endgame.
This video gives you an in-depth look at everything Outriders Worldslayer has to offer:
These are the main features of the extension:
- The story campaign continues with the new villain Ereshkigal.
- The story lasts between 4 and 8 hours, plus the new endgame.
- New “Apocalypse Items” have an additional mod slot, making these weapons and armor even more powerful.
- There are 2 new upgrade paths for your class, some of which will greatly improve you.
- A new difficulty system: Apocalypse ranks replace world levels and go up to level 40.
- A new endgame activity clearly intended for teams of 3.
- There are many new enemy types and a lot of new loot.
In our pre-test, we found that while Worldslayer doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it clearly makes the game better. In our opinion, the standard price of just under €40 is a bit too high for what is on offer:
Outriders Worldslayer play test: The expansion offers more of the same, but better
Checklist – Should I Play Outriders Worldslayer?
Is Outriders Worldslayer worth it for me? So that you can make a quick decision, we have prepared 10 statements for you here. If you answer “Yes” to 8 of them, Outriders Worldslayer should definitely be of interest to you. If you’re still unsure afterward or were able to agree with a few statements, below is an overview of what exactly awaits you in Outriders Worldslayer.
- I’ve played Outriders before and really liked it, or never played it even though I was very interested.
- I love brutal shooters where I have to play aggressively.
- I like playing loot shooters like Destiny, Borderlands, The Division.
- I have a lot of fun grinding for better gear – even if it means playing the same missions over and over again.
- PvP is not important to me.
- I prefer playing endgame activities in a team than alone.
- I love it when games get harder and harder.
- The darker, more brutal and nasty a story is, the more fun I have with it.
- I like playing multiple different classes in my RPGs.
- As long as I enjoy a game, I don’t care how much it costs or how long it takes.
How does it look? How many of these statements apply to you? If you’ve said “yes” at least 8 times out of 10, you can safely grab Outriders Worldslayer.
If you want to learn more about the game, you can find the detailed assessment of our colleagues from GameStar here:
Outriders Worldslayer – How to play
How does Outriders Worldslayer play? Anyone who has played Outriders before knows exactly what to expect. Because the expansion Worldslayer shakes very little on the rock-solid foundation of the base game:
- Outriders Worldslayer is a loot shooter that you play from the shoulder perspective.
- You have a choice of 4 classes, each of which can have 3 skills equipped at the same time. There is no new class with Worldslayer, nor are there any new skills.
- The Pyromancer fights at medium range with fire spells and AoE attacks.
- The Assassin relies on sneaky melee combat, teleports, and invisibility and slowing down of enemies
- The Ravager is a melee tank that charges into the fray with shotguns, bleed damage, and high defense
- The Technomancer is the ranged fighter that relies on turrets, poison and ice damage.
- Each class heals by dealing damage in their own way. The Pyromancer must kill burning enemies, the Technomancer heals with any damage to the enemies.
- This means that you have to play aggressively almost non-stop. While there is Gears of War-style cover in the battle arenas, it’s more for the enemy than for you.
- Although the game is fully co-op, it can also be played solo as much as possible. The newest endgame is solo, but only achievable with the best builds.
- There is still no PvP in Outriders.
- With Worldslayer, you have even more options to perfect your build thanks to more mod slots and more skill trees.
- The level of difficulty of the game scales steadily, depending on your world level or your apocalypse rank. Your opponents deal more and you take less, but the chance of God-Loot increases in return.
- As in the base game, the story in Worldslayer is dark, brutal and uncompromising.
Outriders Worldslayer – Is it worth it?
Why should I watch Outriders Worldslayer? If you like all-out shooter action that requires you to play non-stop aggressively, Outriders Worldslayer is a feast. Because whether in the story or in the gameplay: this game is brutal, aggressive and uncompromising through and through.
So the focus of Outriders, also with Worldslayer, is the “power fantasy” of slipping into the shoes of a godlike mega-destroyer. The developers of People Can Fly clearly understand what is fun about their loot shooter: big magazines, bigger explosions, gigantic damage values. Those who like it will also be well served with Worldslayer.
When is Outriders Worldslayer not worth it? If you’ve already played the base game and weren’t really convinced, the expansion won’t convince you either. Because nothing has really changed with Worldslayer – it’s more of the old one, but bigger and better.
Solo players will be happy with the campaign, but the endgame is clearly designed for a full team of three. Only the very best gamers with the fattest gear can survive here on their own.
And even if the expansion is fun: With the short campaign and few fundamental changes, the €40 is very high. If you’re not already 100% convinced that you need more Outriders immediately, you’d better wait for a discount.
If you haven’t touched Outriders since the release, you should also know that the loot system has been changed drastically in some cases. Here you can find out what happened:
Outriders radically changes loot to save game – did it help?