After Heinrich Lenhardt and Christian Genzel recently looked back on the first two parts of Monkey Island, they are now discussing Guybrush Threepwood’s comeback.
serial inventor Ron Gilbert is heading back to Monkey Island after three decades. The sequel to the most iconic of all adventure series raised high expectations, after all, the resolution of the mysterious end of Monkey Island 2 provided in promising. While Jörg is still making the Sea of Japan unsafe, Christian Genzel from the Lichtspielplatz podcast moors with the game veterans to chat with Heinrich about the pirate comeback. There is a lot to discuss from the operation to the two levels of difficulty to the idiosyncratic graphic style. To keep the spoilers low, our end-of-game exchange of thoughts will only come after this episode’s credits, so you can disembark in time. At the beginning you can expect fresh news, warm game reports and tasty listener mail as usual.
0:00:15 News & small talk
- 0:05:10 Mixed news: retro magazine RETURN celebrates its 50th issue, Steam publishes more detailed game charts.
- 0:16:18 What was the last thing we played? SpaceVenture, dome keeper.
- 0:33:50 Listener mail from Andreas Wanda, Patric Grosse and Andreas (without Wanda).
0:44:40 Return to Monkey Island
- 0:45:02 The long-awaited return to Mêlée and Monkey Island makes for some comforting game world nostalgia. Thanks to simplified operation and sensible comfort functions, even occasional adventurers can have fun.
- 1:05:19 The subtle and atmospheric music earns unanimous praise, the new graphic style may take some getting used to, but it doesn’t detract from the fun of the game.
- 1:24:38 Press review and veteran conclusion.
1:33:39 Spoiler Island warning: We’ll briefly interpret the end of the game.